SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Can you help me design/refine my built-ins?

wi-sailorgirl
13 years ago

I figured this was the perfect place to go because you all understand the need to maximize storage.

I'm working on designing our built-ins for our bedroom. I have a guy who can build anything very well but he's not very good on contributing to the design so I've found it's best to go to him with a pretty specific design.

This is for our bedroom. It will be the only drawer-type storage in the bedroom. We have a small walk-in closet that will be used for shoes and hanging clothes, but I think almost anything that is folded will need to be stored here.

We have an angled part of the ceiling that sticks out 18 inches into the room (it's where the shed dormer meets the main roof) that I'm working around. A small TV will go in the double-door cabinet on top of the dresser. That placement is dictated by the location of the outlet and cable hookup.

Pretty much everything else about this is up for discussion. The drawings are just my first crack at this.

I didn't get into a lot of detail yet, but the windows are two casements.

Right now I've drawn it with the "dresser" part of it sticking out 22 inches and everything else is 18 inches. I'm not sure if that's the right call or not.

My husband has expressed a concern about running the cabinets right up to the window. He feels it's going to create a "tunnel effect" and will limit visibility. I'm not sure how to get maximum storage and make it look right without running the cabinets to the window. If anyone has thoughts on that, I'd love to hear them. I thought the open shelving on the one side might help with that. I was thinking that would be for displaying a few pretty things.

Please let me know if I'm missing something or ways I can make this work as good as possible.

The ceiling does go up quite a bit more and I could always put more storage over the window part if I wanted to, but it would be difficult to access (still, maybe for off-season clothing?)

I was thinking about putting baskets under the window seat.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH