SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin773_gw

Layout Help - U-Shape w/ Island - Plans almost finalized

kristin773
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and have been reading the forums and have gotten a lot of great ideas. It is now time for me to finalize my kitchen lay-out and I would love some feedback. After reading the "What do you wish you had known while planning" discussion I got a little worried about my lay-out and would like some some additional eyes on it. I would love feedback and if input on if there is anything that just won't work.

Our house was built in 1949. The kitchen was last remodeled in the early 90s and a second floor was added in 1996. We are not moving any exterior walls as we are to code on expanding out the back (detached garage) and it just isnÂt in our budget. Our kitchen is current galley style. Our plan is changing this into a U-shaped kitchen with an island by knocking down walls and raising the floor into our back room (FR). Our back room has floor to ceiling windows along the back wall so it is not an option to raise the floor the entire way (room was an addition and sits below foundation - see picture in photobucket album).

Our goal  pretty much everything! We are looking to increase space, storage, counters, add an island and in kitchen seating.

Family of four  My husband is the primary cooker, I am the cleaner-upper. We have 2 young daughters 4 and 1 years old. We see them as future helpers.

We are planning for our kitchen to be the hub of our house. We are knocking down a couple of walls to open up the space and are adding a large island. I see us eating, doing homework, socializing all around this island.

One of the walls we are knocking down is the wall in-between our kitchen and our Dining Room. We will keep the dining room table and will use this for any meals that are not eaten at the island. We currently only use the DR for formal occasions so this will be a change for us as we are eliminating the informal kitchen table that we use. Since we are moving into the FR we are adding a built in for the TV and an small office area where our kitchen table currently sits. This space will be lower than the kitchen and we have been struggling with what to do with it. I thought about doing a built in bench and table but feel that I have enough seating and would like an area for a desk. We see the kids doing homework and crafts here.

As you can see in our attached plan we were open to moving anything  windows, doors, walls, gas, water.

We are updating all of our appliances. Here is our current tentative plan:

Range  Freestanding GE Monogram Dual Fuel 36" + Hood possibly GE so we can take advantage of the current rebate they are offering.

MW Â Sharp Convection

DW Â not sure. Either Bosch or FP drawers. Undecided on this and concerned about current placement and being able to unload dishes into cabinet above.

Refrigerator  Side by Side Counter Depth  Samsung or GE Profile

Beverage Center in bar area

CanÂt live without  the island, definitely donÂt want a peninsula. Would really like a cabinet pantry but are having an issue on how the upper cabinets meet up with the full height cabinets in the corner. I have reviewed posts and it looks like everyone wraps the corner and then go to full height. Really need a recommendation on what we should do with the corner so that it looks nice and we donÂt lose storage space.

Also can't live without the window over the sink. I am planning on doing a 48" counter height window.

We are hoping to break ground on June 7th.

Thanks in advance!

Kristin

Comments (8)