SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

SD's birthday (I just need to vent !!!!)

imamommy
16 years ago

I'll give a quick background:

SD is going to be 9 in two weeks. DH & I have been together 3 years & they were broken up since SD was about a year and half. They had 50/50 custody every other week up until August of last year. In the beginning of August, they went to court for a full contested trial, both wanting custody. This trial ended a six month battle that started on SD's 8th birthday and the court kept the 50/50 arrangement. Less than two weeks later, BM met a new guy and about a week after meeting him, she moved 3 hours away and signed over full custody to us. (this is after telling SD that she would NEVER let DH take her away from her) Needless to say, SD was devastated. She's been in counseling & BM has been consistent in being inconsistent. She's late to pick her up, then she's early. She cancels at the last minute. She doesn't call, but sends a text to have SD call & when she does, she won't answer. She rarely calls her back. Then there is the other issues at BM's house. She & her BF's ex don't get along (they have three kids) and their house has no rules. SD has come home sick several times (so have the other kids), I've had to take her to the doctor a few times. SD tells us she cardboard surfed on the back of BM's truck one week. The next week, she talked of a pill BM gave her to relax after she fell. BM won't discuss anything with DH and gets defensive about everything. She has been accusing me of 'abusing' her daughter by feeding her healthy food. She tried to start a fight with me about a month ago & since then, says I'm not allowed on her property for pick ups. We've resorted to pulling part way into the driveway & honking the horn. We both stay in the car to avoid problems.

Well, as we approach SD's 9th birthday, I've been planning a huge princess party for her. It was heartbreaking that her mom caused such a scene last year and with all she's been through this year, I wanted it to be extra special for her. We haven't talked at all to BM about it since after last year, they agreed to separate birthday parties. However, SD has told BM that she's having a party. SD didn't discuss it with me or DH, she just told BM about it (and invited her). DH & I decided that if BM showed up, we would be cordial for SD's sake but we were not going to send her an invitation or tell her anything about it. We were hoping she would come see SD on her birthday (which is the day before the party) since the written agreement says she gets her half the day (from 2-6). That way, she could plan something for them.

Last night, BM sent DH an email:

Hi BD,

How are you doing? I was wondering what u were planning for DD's birthday? Can you let me know? Thanks!

BM

So, DH responded with:

Hi BM,

I'm fine, thanks! I haven't planned anything for DD's birthday since the agreement says you are picking her up at 2pm and keep her until 6pm. If you want to pick her up early or keep her until 8pm, that would be fine, just let me know what time you want to have her. If you don't plan on picking her up, can you let me know so maybe I will take her out to dinner. SM is planning something at her dad's house the next day so it won't interfere with your time. Have a great day & hope you are feeling better.

BD

Then BM responded back with:

Hi BD,

I'm feeling better thanks. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get her on her birthday. We r going to plan to do something for her either this weekend or the weekend following her birthday. Talk to you later.

BM

I'm dumbfounded at why she would ask what he has planned, then reject taking her on her scheduled time? I think she is/was fishing for an invitation from DH to the party I'm planning, but she doesn't want anything to do with me.

I should be happy that she isn't insisting on being at the party. But, I am expecting that when SD gets back from this weekend, she will be saying 'why can't my mom come to my party?'. Of course we will deal with that issue, but the other day, SD was telling me where she wanted us to take her for her birthday dinner & I told her that I think her mom is picking her up that day. She got really excited about it & I didn't think anything about it, since that's what the order says. It occurred to me later that I probably shouldn't have said it, because BM has let her down so much. Now, I am feeling guilty because I already told her that her mom is taking her on her birthday, and she isn't. (obviously, we will take her out for dinner on her birthday)

I'm just very frustrated and well, of course I'm angry that BM is either manipulating to be invited to the party (why would she write to ask what DH is doing for her birthday, then decline taking the time that's already hers on her actual birthday?) and I'm afraid she is going to mess with SD's head to make us feel guilty so we will invite her. Or, she is just so uncaring about how it will make her daughter feel when she finds out that her mom isn't going to spend any part of her birthday with her. (of course, she will blame US) She has missed the last two weekends and both times, SD started acting out. She's been throwing her toys and I could hear her in the next room, yelling in a angry tone at her toys. SD is afraid to express her anger toward her mom because she is afraid her mom won't want to see her at all. And not seeing her two weekends in a row is probably feeding that fear. Now, she is canceling time on her birthday too. I can't believe a loving parent would do that. I remember on my 12th birthday, I came home from school and my dad told me that mom was out shopping for my present. She had actually gone to Lake Tahoe to gamble with her friend. She came home the next morning. I have never forgotten the disappointment and feeling like I didn't matter to her. I don't want my SD to feel that and I think she's already felt that over and over since her mom left.

I just needed to vent. I know that if BM goes to her party, we won't stop her. I think DH was hoping that she would get a hint and make plans for her time. Then, SD wouldn't make such a big deal if she didn't come to her party. It's going to be mostly kids and not many adults. I'm going to be so busy doing everything, it won't matter that BM is there or not. I think what bothers me is that when BM sees me doing things for her daughter, she gets upset and reminds me (and SD) that I am not her mom, she is. I just want SD to have a fun birthday.

Comments (19)