SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carra123

I just need to vent

carra
9 years ago

We started our new build Oct 13th. Our builder gave us an estimate of 6 - 8 months to completion. It's been one thing after another, many things that we feel the builder mismanaged (time wise) and we have been very frustrated. We have been pretty happy, so far, with the end result, but the process (mistakes, poor work, etc.) has been extremely stressful and taxing. We are in the completion stage and should (hopefully) be in the house in about 3 weeks or so. That was a bit of background! Our builder has not been timely in ANYTHING. When we ask for information, we are told he is 'working on it' and we have to ask several times to get it. Although this has resulted in several things not happening the way we wanted, we've been able to overlook it, until this week.

We have a good bit of stone work on the house. We were told that our allowance was $17 sq/ft (installed). We went to a stone place and chose some Tennessee field stone and were told it was $18 sq/ft. We informed our builder of the place and the price. After the stone was delivered, we asked our builder if he used the place we had the quote from and he told us no, he got it elsewhere and got a better deal. The stone took FOREVER to install - about 3 or 4 weeks, if I recall. At no time was price discussed. My husband has asked for an allowance update for over 2 weeks........ he finally received it and the stone is 30% OVER our allowance. My husband is livid.

Then there was a door upgrade. When the builder got ready to order the interior doors, he called us and told us that he thought we might prefer a different door style than we had chosen - he stated he could get them for an average of $15 more per door if we liked them better. We decided they were much nicer doors and we told the builder to order those. My husband asked twice for an EXACT amount of overage (the doors were not an allowance but a contract item). On the update from our builder, we see that the actual price of the doors averages $27 EACH (not $15), PLUS the builder's 25% change order fee. Again, my husband is livid.

My husband has sent the builder an e-mail expressing our concerns and we have our weekly walk through with him tomorrow. How does this stuff happen?

And before you ask, my husband has already stated that the builder did not follow the change order guidelines that are stated in the contract.

Comments (20)