SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annebel_gw

mediation/parenting plan

annebel
17 years ago

Hello again, thanks to everyone's great advice on my last post. This stuff is better than therapy! ;o)

Next question is, now that BF is wanting to change the current custody agreement, what is that process? I've read that this stuff usually gets settled out of court between the attorneys or in mediation, which hopefully makes it less costly to all parties. (Note: I realize you can never put a price on your children, but I have one friend who has racked up $55k in legal fees over the last two years. Yikes!)

So do we have to file a motion, or can we just call up the ex and see if she'll agree to mediation? Or can we just send her what we wish to be the new parenting plan/custody agreement and if she agrees have it notorized and sent to the proper people?

(Ah, if only life were that simple!)

One more thing-at the time of the divorce BF took it up one side and down the other from his ex. (She kicked him out five days after his dad died suddenly.) He was devestated and wanted to try to work things out so in turn he didin't fight her on anything. He didn't hire an attorney and agreed to all her terms, however he ended up in default. (I think because he didn't show up in court.) To be honest I don't even know what that means. Right now the divorce papers read joint custody, reasonable visitation. I'm a control freak and need something a little more concrete! :O)

Any insight would be great!

Thanks for making the new kid feel welcome!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor