SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morrigan99

Sibling Jealousy

morrigan99
16 years ago

I am a mother of 4, three are mine (17, 2 and 8 months) and I have one step child (age 6) who has become terribly jealous of my 2 year old. I understand that there are rivalries and the difficulty of a step child feeling accepted into the family and accepting siblings. Her mother has nothing to do with her so the burden of being her mom is on me. I get support from my husband and his family but it is not easy because she has a very strong personality and does not want to be included (if that makes sense). She came to live with us when she was 2 so it isn't like she is totally new. She is extremely bossy (even to adults) and craves negative attention.

The jealousy is so bad that I come home from picking up the smaller children from the sitters and the 6 year old automatically looks in the 2 year olds bag to see if she got anything. The 6 year old is jealous and reverts to acting like a 2 year old. They fight over everything and the six year old freaks out when the 2 year old touches her clean clothes while I am folding laundry (the 2 year old likes to help do chores around the house) and rips anything out of the 2 year old hands and screams "mine". This has been going on for a good year. We have tried everything, talking, time outs, punishments (and if the 2 year old does something she is punished too). But nothing seems to work and now it is worse.

My concern is the negative effect is has on my 2 year old who is now exhibiting the same behaviors. I don't think it is healthy for her to constantly be "attacked" by her sister.

I am at my wits end because I have become the "evil" step mother to her and she cries that she doesn't want to live with me. I am not the evil step mother, I am very loving and fair, but when a 6 year old is beating up a 2 year old, there is a problem. I have tried time alone with the six year old to try to bond, but I honestly think she won't allow it. I have 3 other children to worry about and I work as well. I have somewhat pulled away from dealing with her because it is so stressful on me and I feel guilty for doing that.

Does anyone else have this problem?? Am I doing something wrong?? I just feel like I have so much on my plate with my other children and this jealousy is consuming and negative. Is this something they grow out of??

Desparate Step Mother

Comments (23)