SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helpwiththis

negative mother-in-law

helpwiththis
16 years ago

First I have to start this by saying that I do love my mother in law. We have a good relationship and she has been a godsend whenever we needed a babysitter or anything. We have always gotton along well. She did hate my dh's exwife and never went to their wedding, so she does not pretend to like anyone. She has told my dh how wonderful I am with him and my sd and gave her blessings to us gettting married. The problem I have with her though is she is so negative about anything bought for the kids.

Both my dh's parents are from another country, came here after they married to start a new life. They did not have much money when my dh was growing up and they were very frugal. They did really well for themselves and are pretty well off now and still very frugal. My dh had few toys growing up and rarely ate fast food. (I am not saying anhything negative about it, just giving some background)

The problem, well at any holiday when my dd or sd talk about toys and gifts they received my mother in law is so negative. We did Easter early this year because my dd was going with her dad to visit relatives out of state for spring break. When we went to my mother in laws for "Easter" to eat with her both girls were telling of their baskets and what they got. Since they both are in love with Webkinz I made their baskets Webkinz baskets. They each got a new Webkinz, accessories for their Webkinz, the trading cards, and the lip gloss. They loved it! As they told my mother in law her response was "I do not see the need for that garbage, you know I do not like that stuff".

My problem is that is her usual response to toys and gifts to them. I understand things were different when she was growing up and when she was raising her kids. But my dh and I do well and I do not see why she has to be so negative about holiday gifts. She does the same thing with my dh's siblings and their children. Everyone just lets it go.

I could never say anything about it if they do not. Anyways, the girls are both used to nana talking that way. They know it is because she had a harder life. But I feel like it takes away from the joy of the holidays when she is so negaitve.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations