SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtchgrl

pls help lantern proportion/look (pics)

dtchgrl
14 years ago

Hi-

I decided to ditch my old fixture and go with two lantern style pendants over the "table" portion of my island, which is attached to the prep part. I don't really have another focal point, so I think I would like them to make a statement rather than just fade into the background.

But I'm terrible at imagining how thing will look in the new space.

The kitchen is quite open to what used to the eating part of the kitchen w/patio doors and then open to the family room. But, I would say the true "kitchen" size is 17.5 ft x 20 feet. Ceiling height is 9 feet.

The table height part of the island will be about 42in x 97in, it will have a 2.25 in cherry wood top, it will be attached to a prep portion that is about 44in x 52 in soapstone.

I want the two (?)lanterns to show off and make a statement, but not look ridiculous.

Normally I think the bottom of light over a table is 30inch. Could these be hung higher and look OK?

This is my favorite but are they too big? 28.5 inches from bottom balls to ring. 17.75 diameter. Can't find info on chain length.

This one is cheaper and smaller 17in from bottom to ring, 12 in square and plenty of chain

Here is a sketch of the island - there are actually perimeter cabinets along the back and right wall. The island is not centered along the back run of cabinets - don't know if that is a problem.

Here are cabinets/colors (will change knobs to something more "rustic")

This is generally the new layout

So...what do you think of these lantern choices for this island/table area? Thanks!

Comment (1)