SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_belle

Having major 2nd thoughts about countertop choice for walnut

karen_belle
13 years ago

We're building in a buffet for our dining room. We've got a base cabinet made of beautiful quarter-sawn walnut. Our floors are terrazo (creamy white with gray, blue, black and brown chips). We had selected a dark gray basalt for the countertops, but up against the walnut it looks really blue.

My DH & I don't like busy granite - this basalt has extremely small crystals. There are some very soft movement lines - brown and black - but it should read mostly solid gray. Or blue, next to the walnut - arrrgh.

So I've selected three slabs, but they haven't been purchased yet. I feel like I should take another trip out to the stoneyard and see if there's something else that calls to me & DH - we've tended to like emperador each time we've seen it, for example.

I'm worried that the busy-ness of the terrazzo will work against a marble like emperador, but then again, the size of the crystals are very different. I suppose we could go for a manufactured quartz in solid. We're designing a modern house - anyone got any good advice? Please???

Comments (14)