SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
30something_gw

Want to play with decor for my living/dining room?

30something
11 years ago

Okay, guys...anyone bored and feeling like giving some assistance to the style-challenged? We just got a brown reclining sofa and recliner, and an old garage sale rocking chair, and I need to figure out some color/style to hopefully pull all this together. The main stuff will have to stay the same, so I'd really like suggestions on curtains, art, end tables, decorative items, etc. I don't want a designer-looking room...just a comfortable room that we can enjoy that "works." I'm not sure how to mix colors and wood types....or anything else, really.

Here's what will need to stay the same: sofa, chairs, dining set, wall color, flooring, light fixtures. The clock must stay, but can be moved. Hubby really doesn't want to paint the mantle and fireplace trim, but he would be okay with a different stain.

I definitely want to replace or remove: end tables, entertainment center, sconces (maybe flower picture, too), curtains/blinds, and cushions on the rocking chair. I also need pillows and other decorative items.

I need to add some color, but I'm not sure what direction I want to go. I like greens blue (not aqua), yellow, and brown. I also like red. I don't think all of those colors will work together, and I don't have to use all of them, but that just gives you an idea of what I like. We are obviously very casual, and we tend to like a "country-ish" or possibly even rustic look.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you have a photo or link to an item you think would look nice, I can photoshop it in and see how it looks.

Thanks for any help you might be willing to lend. :) (Please ignore the sloppily photoshopped removal of clutter, and the clutter on the table that I couldn't photoshop.) :)

Comments (22)