SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jupiterj

How to explain?

jupiterj
17 years ago

Hello everyone. Jerseystepmom I finally got divorce poison in the mail yesterday and am looking forward to reading it! In the meantime I have a question for all the stepmoms out there. Bio-mom in the past has accused me of "trying to buy her kids love" and could I please stop because "it made it hard on her" This all started this summer when I bought one of those inflatable waterslides, which yes it was a little expensive,but I had always wanted one when I was young and have never had young kids in my family to buy toys for so I splurged and the kids had a blast on it all summer. After she said that I didn't buy anything unless it was birthday/christmas. Well, recently the two boys were listening to me talk to my brother on the phone about the hockey cards we used to collect and they showed interest in starting their own collection. They both play hockey so I thought this would be a fun hobby for us. Mom accused me of trying to "outdue her" My brother in the meantime had some old hockey jerseys that he used to wear and sent them up for the boys. The older was so excited and asked Dad if he could call mom. I watched his big smile and excitement turn to a sad little voice saying Dad momma wants you. She calls him an a#@hole and hangs up. His 8 year old says I just feel like crying. So his Dad sat with him and said it was ok to be sad about the divorce but that he didn't have to feel bad about getting the jerseys/cards. I've decided I probably shouldn't buy anything for them anymore cuz she takes it out on them and I hate to see them have to go through that. But what do I say when they ask if I could buy them something in the future? Would it be proper to say "it makes your mom feel bad when I buy you things cuz she wishes she could buy you those things and I don't want to make her or you feel bad about it?" or should I not say anything about the real reason and just say I need to save money right now and don't have any extra.........

I know this question seems trivial but I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Comments (6)