SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jorginho_gw

How to explain this

jorginho
9 years ago

Summer was veyr wet locally in the Netherlands with in places 22" of rain (500 mm) in the three summermonths. Not a record, but wet. Where I live however, especially more towards the coast it was dry. August was normal witj 100-120 mm. But mai, june and july combined had 100 mm or so.

I haven't been to the forests for a long time, but I always look at the upcoming young trees and remember some of them. I know where they grow.

Now expected this (saplings):
- Sitka spruce: quite a few dead (these are very sandy soils, poor too). Other showing poor growth
- Tsuga heterophylla: most dead, some with their little tops dying.
- Abies alba: no idea actually.
- DOug fir: would cope with the drought mostly.

Result: 25% of Sitka spruce I found was dead (all specimen - Abies alba: so so, but none dead.
- Doug fir: actually one dead, but bark was stripped of by a dear.

Surprise: Tsuga heterophylla did really well. One had top dying (dear browsing I think), but one actuall put on 1,2 m from a sapling that is may be three years old. Last year, it was 30 cm...Now 1.5 m!

I have great difficulty to explain how Tsuga, which I always reckoned to be very reliant on moist showed the best growth I can remember anywhere in The Netherlands. I have never seen it. It is one, rather thick stem with very little twigs.

Now the soil is poor and mostly covered by some raw humus (pine treebark). There is a 15 cm organic layer (that was bone dry).

Is may be the fact that Tsuga can survive under poor nutrient conditions that give it this upper edge. Summer was also very warm, but August was quite cold though (september again top 5 warmest ever)....

So....how to explain this?

Comments (7)