SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mickee311

Making my first raised bed this weekend. How do I go about it?

mickee311
17 years ago

I bought 16 3"x5"x8' landscaping timbers, the kind that are rounded on the sides and flat on top and bottom. I'm currently trying to figure out exactly how to go abuot doing this and I need help. DH isn't any help because he says it's my garden, do what I want..lol You guys know how important it is to a gardener to get ideas from all sources and any info possible to make it right. I was thinking on making them 3 timbers high, which would make them 9 inches, and a 16x4 bed. But, from what I've been reading on here, you don't really need more than 6 inches in height. Is this true? I liked the 9 inches idea, it seems it would just look nicer. Now, do I layer the timbers like a log cabin style? You know, with the end of one touching the side end of another and so on? And how do you secure them together without having to drill giant holes in the timbers and using rebar, because I haven't a drill bit for that. Can you just cut supports and nail them to the inside of the bed?

And I hate to ask you guys to do math, but can you think of any other designs I could do with the amount of wood that I got besides one 16x4 bed? I got 15 for the bed and 1 extra because my husband said I Might need it for something, but I can't remember what.

Oh, and he also suggested instead of using cut in half timbers for the short sides and 2 whole ones to make the long sides, to cut the timbers in short pieces and put it together like that. I don't know how to explain that in type....Dangit...I'm just so excited to get this underway and confused about a lot of stuff...I don't know where to start :0)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery