SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marek88

New raised bed garden. How did I do?

marek88
13 years ago

So this is my first year growing vegetables in a raised bed. I decided to build it in the back of my backyard (18' x 3' x 6"), sun from 7:30am until 1:30pm but it will have nice shade in the afternoon. I dug about 6" under the bed and removed all the grass since I wanted to plant now :) I filled it with top soil from our township. I realize that a lot of people have a problem with that because its mostly recycled leaves but it was really nice looking soil. I mixed in couple bags of top soil from Home Depot as it seemed a little too light for my liking and some lime as our soil has naturally low ph. Top dressed that with some compost and planted couple days later. Since this is my first serious attempt I wanted to try couple different types of tomatoes (Bradywine, Rutgers, Beefstake, Earlygirl, BigBoy Hybrid)), peppers (Valencia, Anaheim and Thai Dragon), cucumbers plus I seeded radishes, carrots and chives.

So far everything looks good I guess my only concern is the Valencia Bell peppers. They seem to have very light green coloration compared to the rest and slight leaf curl I noticed last night after I watered the bed. It might be just me though. Kind of looks like slight N deficiency but considering the rest of the plants dont have any issues I dont want to take any drastic measures just yet. I have always been a green thumb kind of person. I have fully planted aquariums that are CO2 injected with very high lighting and fert requirements {{gwi:49476}}so I'm not unfamiliar with growing plants by any means.

So how did I do?

{{gwi:49477}}

{{gwi:49478}}

{{gwi:49479}}

{{gwi:49480}}

{{gwi:49481}}

2 plants in the back are Valencia peppers and Anaheim in the front. You can see the color difference.

{{gwi:49482}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County