SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thrilledtoremodel_gw

Switching from HD to Cabinet Maker- layout feedback please!

thrilledtoremodel
14 years ago

I was sooooo close to ordering from HD. Then I called a cabinet maker, went and saw a kitchen he did, and he came in UNDER HD's quote! (HD was about 13K installed, he's about 12K installed). So I've hired him!

He builds the boxes with 3/4 inch birch, and then he buys maple doors to go on front. We're sticking with a soft maple because it will be painted (so no use spending extra $ for nicer grain on hard maple that will just get covered up).

He doesn't have a website, knows he needs to get one! Basically, his background is that his dad started the business in '69...but ended up specializing in commerical and letting the kitchens fall by the wayside. Well the dad's commercial side didn't do well (they built specialty cabs for newspapers to do their layouts- and then computers came along!). So he and his brother took over the business about 2 1/2 years ago (but he grew up making cabinets), and are aiming to focus on kitchens again. I think this is why his prices are so reasonable- he has to build up a name for himself.

I am psyched because he is going to do a bunch of stuff I couldn't get w/stock Thomasville cabs:

-To left of my sink, there would have been a 9 inch upper, then that 'EZ reach' hinged cab, then a 12 inch next to the microwave. He is going to skip having ANY corner cab, and will instead be able to put ~20" upper next to micro and ~20" upper next to sink. Much for user friendly!

-I never liked lazy susans, and I don't like the hinged doors. So instead of a base corner lazy susan, we're going to have the counter top at a 45 degree angle with 45 degree angled drawers underneath. They'll be somewhat narrow (~15 inch interior), but long. I'll be able to fit all my cooking utensils, and it will be right next to my cooktop.

-The base 'reduced depth) cab that was to the left of my wall pantry...he can put a false front on it, then on the side- as you're approaching from the bathroom, he's going to put 4 little drawers. Will be perfect so each member of the family gets 1 drawer= mike can put his wallet & keys & cell phone in :)

-Going to have larger upper cabs than HD could have done. I have about 53 inches from countertop to ceiling (we're getting rid of all soffits!!!). So you can fit about a 34" upper plus some crown molding...

-To save some $, we're imitating you and going with all beadboard instead of end panels (that side of fridge panel would have been about 500$ for end panels!). So beadboard in all places where end panels would have been.

what do you think?? too good to be true? do you like the changes I'm having him do (ie no lazy susan, so corner upper cab)...would love feedback, I really appreciate it!

PS Color scheme: thinking of imitating Redroze's color scheme- have to price out some Bianco Antico! :)

Comments (21)