SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beagled

Layout feedback, please. Photo heavy.

beagled
14 years ago

Hi. Ive been lurking for a while. I have a layout that Hi. This is kind of long, because I tried to give all the info requested in the FAQ for layout help.

IÂve been tinkering with this for a while, and IÂd love some feedback. This is for a house that we want to build, but are at least a year away from building. (That hasnÂt stopped me from fiddling with kitchen designs in every free minute. Apparently itÂs my new hobby.) Since IÂm at the earliest stages, IÂm open to any ideas you  even those that would radically change the kitchen.

My goals/how weÂll use the kitchen:

This house will be fairly small with an open plan. The kitchen will be part of the main living space. I want it to be a gathering place. I love to be in my kitchen preparing food with my family and friends gathering around  either helping or tasting. It should be sunny, open, bright.

At the same time, I have a stressful job and my home is a sanctuary  especially the kitchen. I need it to be peaceful and organized. While I love to have company in the kitchen, I also love a weekend afternoon alone in the kitchen cooking/baking large batches of food for the week or making a complicated "special" meal. (Before drawing kitchens became my hobby, it was cooking.) I do most of the cooking, but my family (husband and two pre-teens) use the kitchen to make their own breakfasts and snacks. The kids like to help me cook (sometimes), and the DH likes to hang out and visit with me while I cook. We watch a lot of sporting events on TV, and I like to be able to watch the game (or whatever the familyÂs watching) while IÂm in the kitchen  hence the open plan.

A good amount of our entertaining is centered around a TV sporting event  having friends over to watch a big game for a fun casual night. On those occasions, I will usually have at least one other person working in the kitchen with me. We will have a somewhat separate dining room (still open, but away from the kitchen and meal prep mess) for sit-down meals, which are usually holidays, Sunday supper & special occasions. I host at least one large family dinner at the holidays. At this stage in our life, I imagine the dining table will be used more for homework and playing board games than for meals.

We are on the go a lot, with both adults working outside the home and the kids in numerous extracurricular activities. Many weekdays, the kitchen will only be used for coffee and a quick breakfast and an after-school snack for the kids. Unfortunately, many of our weeknight evening meals are taken at concession stands.

So here it is. I'm attaching drawing of the kitchen as well as a drawing of the first floor. I know this needs lots of work. Basically, I planned the kitchen, then drew a house around it.

{{gwi:1801333}}{{gwi:1801334}}
Thanks to this forum, IÂve planned the following zones for the kitchen.

Cleanup:

I know that I want a large area fairly-separate area solely for cleanup. (In my current large but poorly designed kitchen, the sink is 6 inches from the stovetop. I usually have to move dirty dishes off of my stovetop before I can cook. Seriously.) I want a deep sink, and plenty of room for trash & recycling. I think I would prefer to store everyday dishes in the cleanup area for ease of put away. Actual dish use is more spread out  great room, dining room, island  so it makes sense to me to store near the dishwashers rather than point of use. Thinking integrated stainless steel sink & counter.

Cooking:

I know that I want plenty of room around the cooktop, and the cooking area should be well separate from cleanup. I need storage here for pots & pans, etc. as well as frequently used food items that are used mainly at the cooktop  oils, pasta, rice, etc. I want a separate cooktop and wall ovens, because I donÂt like cooking on a range when thereÂs something baking in the oven. (I get very hot.) Also, we expect this to be our "forever" house (I know, I know), and I think a wall oven would be better as I age. Thinking about a stainless steel countertop ala erikanh.

Prep:

I want an island facing the great room (and TV). I would do most of my prep on the island. IÂd say I do most of my prep before I start the actual cooking. When I prep, I like to get all my ingredients together in the prep area, and then go to town. Not a big walk-back-and-forth the fridge person or a prep beside the stove person. There should be seating on the island  ideally for 4, but at least for 3. I want a nice cold stone on the island for rolling out dough and for just the way it feels. IÂm a fan of islands that are just worktops  no sinks/cooktops/etc, but I would probably need a prep sink to make it fully useful for prep (cutting and washing vegetables, etc.). The island would also be used for buffet serving. Love marble, but fear I would destroy it. I was thinking about a light granite until I saw the Emerald Isle kitchen (below), now IÂm undecided.

All three of these areas should have extremely durable surfaces, because IÂm not a careful person and would trash any surface that needs to be babied.

Breakfast & Snacks:

I want the kids breakfast & snacks area (which is always a mess) to be away from my main prep/cooking/cleaning areas. Makes sense to me to have breakfast items and snack items in one area, along with toaster, coffee maker and microwave.

Beverages:

It would be nice to have a dedicated beverage area to (a) get drinks out of the main fridge (full door with freezer on bottom) to make more room and (b) for entertaining. Guests/kids could get drinks without getting into the main prep/cleanup areas. WeÂd have an under-counter beverage fridge, and if the budget would allow, an ice maker. IÂd put a trash pullout for cans/bottles here too, so guests/kids wouldnÂt have to come into the kitchen to throw away empties.

Storage:

IÂve planned a large walk-in pantry for sort of behind the kitchen for storage of food items & dishes/serving pieces/more rarely-used items. IÂd also like to put an upright freezer here. Painted wood open shelving here  12" deep on one wall, and other wall would have 24" deep shelving on lower and 12" deep shelving above. Maybe do a counter out of the dark wood butcher block that people have bought from IKEA and stained.

Baking:

One corner of the pantry is reserved for baking. Mostly this will serve as storage for all of my baking "stuff" Â pans, ingredients, small appliances. I would use this for baking prep for fairly small/short projects, but would likely move stuff out to the island if I were planning an afternoon baking Christmas cookies or something like that. I have a piece of stone from my grandparentÂs restaurant that will serve as part of the counter here. The wall oven is placed just outside the baking area, between the baking area, cooktop and sink.

The layout is inspired by allison0704Âs kitchen.

Appearance:

This is a country home, and I love vintage-inspired things from 30s-40s  dishes, tablecloths, aprons. White cabinets, stainless steel appliances and hardwood floors. I like a light sagey green for the walls in the kitchen/great room/dining. My inspiration photos are below. I want the permanent items to be fairly neutral so that I can be free to change paint color, furnishings, etc. over the years and to look good with seasonal decorations that change out through the year.

{{gwi:1801335}}{{gwi:1801337}}{{gwi:1801338}}{{gwi:1801339}}Okay, this is totally excessive. Thanks to anyone who made it through this thing.

Kristen

Comments (21)