SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Please criticize and give feedback on this layout!

11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am working around some challenges in this layout and am thinking that we might have come to a reasonable solution.

Basically, there are two windows that are 29" from the ground in this layout. The ones shown on the right may be changed to a door in the future if we build a sunroom as we hope to. However, I am not closed to the idea of changing the layout and getting a smaller window in order to gain counter space, if needed. Another issue is the way that the right hand side of the house bumps inward, but my contractor says that he has worked around this before and thinks that he can make this a cool-looking feature.

Anyway, here is the layout my contractor and I came up with yesterday after several hours of considering various permutations. I do have some concerns:
-I'm not sure this is enough pantry space!
-I'm concerned that the refrigerator is too far from the sink and range for my liking
-If we get our filtered water out of the fridge, why do we need a bar sink? Just to quickly wash glasses ?

Things I like:
-getting the coffee and microwave out of the cooking zone
-putting all the glasses and mugs and everyday plates by the refrigerator and microwave--so that those who need a snack don't have to enter the cooking zone
-the possibility of a kind of baking area by the window

I'm sure there are other very bad things that you will all see. I would love your honest and critical feedback. I am certainly no expert. I am in a bit of a rush because the cabinet supplier for my contractor is having a 20% off sale until the end of the month, so I would love to try to get my order in by then as money is always an issue (and I want to buy a premium sink, faucet, range hood, countertop etc). OBviously the cabinet details have not yet been worked out, but I want to know if the general layout is OK before I dig into that.

Again, any thoughts from the impressive kitchen gurus here would really be wonderful.

Comments (13)