SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueeyedgirl_gw

Behavour issues/Moving to fathers house...

blueeyedgirl
17 years ago

Stumbled upon this site looking for a little guidance and information. Hope someone on here can maybe help with my delemma...

I have an 8 year old son who mixes with his step father like oil and water. My son has had behavoural issues that have been ongoing since he was very young. I moved in with my new husband when my son was 3 and their relationshiip was great in the beginning. As the behavour of my son has worsened over the years, it has slowly taken a toll on our entire family. I also have a daughter (12 - same father) and another son 3 with my new husband.

The upheaval in our home has gotten to the point where I am strongly considering sending my son to live with his biological father for a trial period.

My ex and I are very lucky. While we live an hour appart, we still have a good relatinship between us and the children. My son sees his father 3 weekends out of 4 and spends 2-3 weeks a year with him.

When he is angry and unhappy with the rules in our home and any punishment he has received, my son states that he wants to go and live with his dad. While I have tried to ignore these comments for the past couple of years, it is finally gotten to the point where I think, ok - please go if you really will be happier there.

The time that my son does spend there - our home is a completely different atmosphere. It is calm and relaxed. Even the 12 year old notices the huge difference. While she states she would miss her brother, she also feels our household would be a lot 'better'. I know she is also tired of the endless arguements she hears and the tempertantrus that he throws. Her brother minopolizes most of our time and this really gets to her.

I don't want to just ship my son off because he is difficult to handle. I am concerned he will think I don't want him anymore or that I am choosing my new husband over him. His father is very receptive of my son coming to live with him; but we would have to agree to a certain period of time beforehand to see if it really is the better place for him. I would get to see my son on the 3 weekends a month he currently sees his father.

Along with the 'abandonment' issues, I am concerned that after the move I would not be able to get my son 'back' if I thought it had been a mistake.

Sorry this has been so long! I would appreciate any advise you all have!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio