SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmortarmixer

Help laying out girls' bedroom

mrsmortarmixer
10 years ago

I've spent the last two weeks trying to finish up started projects and re-organizing the house before the girls head back to school. I cannot get the girls room even remotely tidy just due to the amount of visual clutter. There are plans for an addition in the near future, but we work slowly, so the girls are stuck sharing a room for the next 2-3 years. This room is bedroom and playroom. We're in an old farmhouse with no extra rooms to dedicate to kids at this time.

Their ages are almost 6, 5, and 4. Currently, they have two twins and a toddler mattress. Most nights they cram onto the twin bed or two sleep on the twin and one on another until one gets pushed off. While this works out for now, I think as the girls start school, they might like to have the option of having a friend sleep over, and occasionally their cousin spends the night.

There is a small closet which isn't big enough for all of their clothes, so we put up a closet rod on the wall with the attic door. It's truly an eyesore and adds to the visual clutter of the room. There is a large bookcase in between the chimney and attic door that holds the majority of their toys and books. There are also two dressers that hold their non-hanging clothes. Their grandma bought them 3 of those child size recliners they insist on keeping.

The chimney has to stay. The closet does not. I'd rather not add anything permanent such as a closet, and would prefer to use furniture that could be moved around or removed when necessary. The closet and attic wall are both sloped, so no bunk beds will fit anywhere except for the window wall, and I'd rather the window not be blocked by a bed, as it's the only natural light in the room.

I'm not sure what beds would be the best investment and best use of space. I had considered 3 twins, but I think they will probably dislike not being able to share a bed if they want, or if they have a friend over. 3 fulls, although I'm not sure if I can possibly cram 3 in there. 2 fulls with trundles. We'd have 1 extra bed for any friends and bigger beds for them to share if they so choose. Dh jokingly (I think) said just get them a king and make them share a bed until they move out. I'm not sure which is the way to go here. Dh and I planned on mattress shopping next weekend for us, but if we could decide on something for the girls soon, we could go ahead and pick up theirs while we are shopping.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for making the most of this room? Preferably with as little visual clutter as possible, and using things that will work more than a year or two.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!