SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

How Do I Put Blinds on These Windows?

drjoann
12 years ago

Well, the house is built & DH moved into it in mid-May with my help with getting the elderly dogs, there. I came back to Houston to finish up a work project and get this house ready to sell. When we were there in May, we just didn't worry about window coverings or privacy because our bedroom is at the back of the house, we sit on 2 acres and the leaves provided enough privacy as long as we changed with the lights out.

So, I still don't know when I will relocate, but I'm going there for a visit in 2 weeks & our DD will join us for a while, so I need to get the guest room in order. Now, I am worried about privacy because the guest room is on the front of the house. I figured we'd just do blinds because they seem to be the best combination of privacy and light control. I had samples sent to the house, DH chose a color & I was all set to have him measure & order, but we're not sure how we should mount them. See the picture, below for what the windows look like:

We don't have all of that complicated trim in our current house where we just did a simple inside mount. I don't think we can do an inside mount, here, so we're bumfuzzled.

Do we mount the blinds right onto the flat part of the RB-3 trim if that will fit? If we do that, should we put just one blind across the double windows? Should we try to use the valence returns if we mount them that way? If we can't use the valence returns, can I just do a fabric valence with a bay window rod to cover the head rails?

If we try to mount them completely above the trim, I think the valences that come with them will interfere with each other. Again, should I just hide that with fabric valences?

In either case, it's not an inside mount & I don't know how wide to make them. Ideas?

Sorry, I'm so lame, but the last time I lived in a house with any real window trim was over 20 years ago & I just don't remember how things work.

Thanks for the help - Jo Ann

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville