SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abundantblessings

Pirula, Other Color Gurus, need warm off-white help, please!

abundantblessings
15 years ago

Painters will be here in the morning to paint trim and ceiling in dining room. Based on Pirula's and others expertise, I went with Farrow & Ball Pointing for trim. The dining room will be lighter grass cloth with slight gold background; the overall tone is akin to F & B Joa's White toward Archive. I'm a little nervous about the paper since it's a departure from traditional grasscloth which we've used several times and love, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will be beautiful and not gaudy. Since the weave is fairly fine, the gold provides just a slight glimmer.

Really need help with suggestions for off-white paints that are warm but not yellow. While I love yellow and will probably paint our bedroom yellow (perhaps a soft yellow like BM Soleil -- we've varied over the years between apricot and yellow to awaken to happy colors in the master) strong yellow undertones simply will not work with our furniture in the living (ivory) and family (Dorset Cream) rooms.

Currently considering F & B Dimity (slightly pink to my eye), Satin Slipper (slightly grey) but both may lean very slightly toward yellowish once on 4 walls, no?, D & K # 82 (absolutely complex and beautiful in our light), B & M Sand Dollar (may be wonderful but may be better with F & B Wimbourne White trim) for open 2-story floor plan. I'd definitely like to avoid all tans and taupes, and whites with very obvious pink, yellow, grey or green casts. Almost impossible, but I know a rich but light true neutral exists somewhere!

I would really love a luminous soft creamy tone. My ideal is tone on tone, but my husband likes lighter (or darker) trim, so I'd like a slight contrast with Pointing or Wimbourne. We have lots of northern light, but colors look totally different here than in our previous homes so some tried and true colors like BM White Dove or SW Dover White look slightly grey or greenish here in northern VA. I've spent hours reading old posts and looking at chips but maybe one of you color gurus can steer me to a great color. I've already spent too much on full-spectrum cards and samples so please, please help narrow the search.

Finally, previous owner painted a darker taupe below the chair rail in the foyer and up the stairwell with the lighter taupe of walls repeated in the inset moldings below the chair rail. Also, the rear walls with French doors and lots of windows and trim are actually another barely noticeable deeper tone than the walls which winds up offsetting the trim nicely. You really have to look hard to perceive the deeper tone as first impression is just that the wall color plays differently because its in the shadow, but it truly is a deeper paint. Two other advantages to this concept is it draws the eye to a more human scale and thus comfortable level in the 2 story open floor plan and the darker color (without insets) provides a richer color to anchor our low sofa which is very close to BM Navajo White in color. Any opinions?

Thanks so much for your help! I've already learned so much from this site. You're the best!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!