SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Average cost to install wood flooring?

jockewing
12 years ago

I am contemplating putting in some wood flooring as I've said in previous posts. I have about 860 total square feet, 660 of which is currently ceramic tile and 200 of which is currently engineered wood that will also come out. Due to concrete slab construction, I am looking at engineered woods. My favorite so far is a Mohawk Hickory in a medium-toned color that runs about $5.75 a sq ft for the material. They want $2.25 a sq ft to remove the existing tile, up to $1,000 for the material to level the cement underflooring. All together, it is running close to $10,000! I find it hard to spend that much money to do the floors on a house that I only paid $85,000 for brand new.

I am also considering some oaks now. The one I like the most runs about $4 a sq foot so that would save maybe $1,500, but still over $8,000 for the entire job? Am I being unrealistic? I was sort of expecting something in the $5-6 grand range. Are their labor costs too high? $2.25 a foot just to take out the tile seems like alot to me.

I guess I need to get some other estimates, but there is only 1 other place in my city. Otherwise I'll have to go across the lake to New Orleans to get some estimates.

Interesting that I just measured the rooms myself and got 760 sq ft to their 860. Math error or trying to cheat me? The people that changed my roof several years ago tried the same thing, magically increasing the square footage of my roof by several hundred feet! Good thing I measured myself then and always do so now. Do any of you also find that you know more about the products than the people who own the business or work in the store? I always do research on what I buy and am shocked at the lack of knowledge out there. If I owned a flooring business, I think I'd be sure to know everything there is about what I was selling! It is so defeating when you try to get some confirmation from the store and they can't provide you any assurances. Last year I was seriously considering installing some recessed lighting but I never did it because none of the stores could give me a solid answer on which fixtures to buy or how many I needed or where to place them. It seemed like they were just guessing to me. One of the shop owners had never even heard of the reflective trim moldings. I am sure I know more about lighting than she did. Isn't it a shame that we cant trust anyone nowadays?

Comments (11)