SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madisonandtest

StepChild and Rules

madisonandtest
18 years ago

I have a few questions and I will give you a little background information first. I am a mom of two sons 18 and 9. Their father and I split up in July of 2005. I have a new boyfriend which was a friend of mine first. His son is 14. His son and my 9 year old have been chuming around for the last 5 years or so, so we all know eachother pretty well. We live 3 doors down from eachother. My boyfriend lives with his mom, and son. His son and him share a room. Since november of 2005 he has spent almost everynight here, giving his son his space in his own room as he is 14 and probably needs it. His son has very little rules and the room is kept in a disaster. dishes, garbage, food, wrappers, clothes everywhere. I am trying to help my boyfriend get him straightened around. No clean room,then no computer or what he likes to do, until its done. My sons have rules. They are in bed on school nights at a certain time. I have taught them manners and to be polite to others. My youngest son has picked up swearing and bad language from his son. When his son comes over, he at times has hardly any respect. He will come over and eat, and then leave. He knows my sons have certain bed times, yet he does not, he is allowed to stay up until he wants to, even on school nights. He has a rudeness of burping as loud as he can, and when i say loud, i mean loud, it is very annoying, especially when i do not let my sons get away with it in our home or in public. I am not saying my two boys are absolutley perfect, but they are corrected when they don't have manners or do what they are told. Either with going to their room, or taking something away from them, and they will have to earn it back. Little things I know should be left alone, but my boyfriend and son are moving in with me and my two sons in the summer. What can I do to set some rules and does anyone out there think I am being too picky. I have to give this child rules when he moves in, because my boys have rules, and it wouldnt be fair to let one do one thing, and the other two boys have rules, which i believe are not strict rules, they are just common raising of boys to grow up to be well behaved men. I love his son, like my own son, and I am definaltely not taking over, but my boyfriend, I do believe needs to understand that his non rule, no cleaning room and no respect with manners must change before they move in, should we start on this now or wait.It will be all 5 of our home come July 2006, so we need to get this straightened around now before it becomes a disaster. We all get along otherwise well. Our three boys already think of eachother as step brothers, and they are somewhat close. I do give his son hugs and kisses and tell him that i love him, and he (once in a while does the same thing to me). Neither ex's are in the picture. He does not see his mother for certain reasons and my boys do not see their father for certain reasons. Please help us figure out what to do.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor