SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

This isn't really related to my house but....

sandy808
12 years ago

Because we have such a good and tolerant group here, and many of you have become my friends, I thought you wouldn't mind me sharing.I think it may help me.

In a previous post about building stress I mentioned one of my kitties being ill. Well, he was more ill than I thought and the most loving thing I could do for him was let him go.

He has always had dental problems and I took him to a very good vet to have him sedated and looked at thoroughly. I believed when I went to pick hime up that evening I would be bringing him home, with surgery scheduled for him. When I called to see if he was ready she said we had to talk.

A few years ago he had an infected tooth and a hard lump on his jaw. He had the tooth extracted and at that time another vet thought he might have bone cancer, but a biopsy showed inflammation and not cancer, so we treated him with a month of antibiotics. He was fine after that but still had the lump which x-rays showed could be calcium deposit. I was so happy.

We moved and he was fine. He played and was so much fun. The past month he seemed not himself, and quit playing with some of his toys. He wsa still cuddly and loving. i thought he was just bored with his toy. Then about three weeks ago I noticed his eyes were cloudy when I looked into them deeply. He had lost some weight, so I took him in to get his eyes looked at. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot for a scatch he saw on Thomas's cornea and said bring him back if he didn't perk up. Thomas was not cooperative to have a good exam and we all agreed he would need to be sedated in order to let the vet check him over well.

Well, once the two week antibiotic wore off, he wasn't eating well and the eyes were still cloudy deep down so I took him in Thurdsay. An x-ray showed a huge dense tumor that had consumed his lower jaw. The vet, who is a wonderful, compassionate lady said she could fix the bad teeth situation, but she couldn't fix this. He was in extreme pain (which I was horrified to find out) and the kindest, most loving thing was to let him go. We said our goodbys and she brought him to us curled up with his blanket in a box for us to take home with us.

My husband made a beautiful casket out of left over log siding from our house for him. We buried him on the east side of our house near our porch and near a tree I just planted. He has a garden angel watching over him and some pretty yellow daylillies on his grave.

I can't wait for our house to be finished so I can be near him. I am so heartbroken and at times the grief suffocates me. He was a gentle angel and very special. I miss him so much. How does one ever fill the hole in tthat is left in your heart. Not sure you can.

Thanks for letting me share.

Sandy

Comments (18)