SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hopelessinnj

I owe more than the house is worth, and it isn't selling. :(

hopelessinnj
16 years ago

My house is now worth less than I paid, thanks to this failing housing market. I need to sell it, and I don't know what to do.

I bought the house for $465,000 in 2006. I put down 10% ($47k), and took a second mortgage for the other 10%. No wacky adjustable loans or anything...we were just desperate to have a nice house, and I made a stupid decision to put ourselves in a position where we are now in over our heads.

The house has been up for sale for about 9 months... I have dropped the price to $449,000....chasing the market down as they say... and I know it needs to be lowered again. I am hopeful but not entirely sure, that it would sell for $425k. Who really knows anymore the way things are going... But as it is, I am already walking away at a huge loss. I don't know what else to do now.

I have to sell. There is no possibility of staying....due to financial and personal reasons. I can't rent it out as the rent would not pay the mortgage. But what do you do when you owe more than you can get for the house? I have never been in this position before.

I was thinking that maybe we could take out a personal loan for half of the second mortgage and take the debt with us...but would I even be able to get such a loan?

I also thought of maybe doing a short sale, but after some research I see that it would be a very hard thing to do...especially with that second mortgage we have. And I really don't want to back out on something and ding our credit...we have good credit and have never been late with bills etc...

Does anyone have any advice for me..please? Kind of a what would you do if you were in this situation question...I just needed to get it out there and see if there are any options for us. I have no idea what to do at this point. :(

Thanks.

Comments (150)