SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg123

need advice choosing and coordinating paint colors!

kmcg123
11 years ago

I had a recent house fire, and while the fire damage was minimal, the smoke was throughout my three story tudor house. My silver lining is I get to repaint throughout the house courtesy of the insurance company. fire was in the basement and furniture , rugs , window treatments in all other rooms are OK. so at first I thought I would just keep the same colors; I was just overwhelmed with the fire and didn't want to make more decisions. but now I want to take advantage of the opportunity.

I will keep my living room the same- Farrow and Ball's Light Blue. Sometimes it reads blue gray others more green gray , but always beautiful. I want to simplify my colors to two or three on the first floor -- dining room, kitchen, powder room, rear entry ( with small mud room) which we use as main entry. My other choices will be Sherwin Williams colors. My kitchen currently is Interactive Cream which I originally chose to go with my ivory cabinets, terra cotta tile floor and backsplash which picks up the browns and muted terra cotta colors. I went one color up,On the paint chip to Bagel for the entry way and hall leading up to the second floor. The Living Room is yet another color up to Totally Tan. Powder room is off the kitchen by rear entry and is painted Watery. Now I would like to,lighten things up. I'm considering using Biscuit which is the lightest color on the paint strip or going with just a fresh, warm white. (I believe the terra cotta floors were damaged and will be replaced. I'll replace with a walnut color hardwood to match the other floors and won't have to worry about that orange color!) I put up some samples -- creamy, Dover white, antique white and just for fun Modern Gray. i thought a gray would go nicely with the Farrow and Ball Light Blue in the living room.I tried some of these colors in the rear entry, dining room and hallway and living room, but am just getting confused! In the entry the colors look more muddied. If I go with one of the whites in the kitchen, I think I want to go a little darker in the dining room to contrast with the ivory drapes.Any suggestions? the rest of the dining room has dark traditional furniture and a Karastan rug with browns,blues,greens and some rusts.

I like the Modern Gray in the kitchen but not in the rear entry ( too muddy) and dining room a bit too cold! ( but I can't test with the light on until the electric is repaired in that room!)

Any suggestions for whites, or grays, in the kitchen and living rom and hallways that would like nice with my green/blue/gray in the living room?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012