SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jupiterj

Success rates of stepparents dealing with vindictive ex's?

jupiterj
17 years ago

Just asking some voices of experience. First of all I knew this would be challenging but have never considered myself a quitter and still don't. I love my fiance and am growing to love my soon to be step-kids. When my now fiance and I began to get serious I went out to lunch with his ex thinking it would be a good idea for us to start to get to know each other. I talked about how it's probably hard for her to have another woman that's going to be involved in her kids lives and that I knew she was a good mom and that I knew my role- just another positive adult role model like a coach, teacher, friend and that I saw a friend of mines marriage break up because of a vindictive ex constantly talking bad about the stepmom and how psychologically it became too hard for her to watch the damage done to the kids and herself in turn,etc etc. I was very open and honest stating that we should have open communication between us feel free to constructive criticize.

She has come over and started arguments the last one Christmas day, bad mouthing my fiance right in front of her child, going on and on to me about my fiance and all his "flaws" as a person/father each time it started to go that way I kept trying to redirect Let's focus on the kids not your old marriage etc etc

Now she's sending e-mails stating that all the kids have professed that they hate me uncoerced.

Their attitudes with me always coincide with one of her outbursts except for the 6 year old.

She denies saying things in front of the kids but I know that it's a lie.

So far I have taken the high road if the kids don't talk to me or seem to not want to talk to me I just stay level and go with the flow. But is it best for the kids? I know their mom instructs them not to talk about things at our house cuz the older child scolded the younger one the other day saying momma said not to talk about so and so cuz daddy don't like them. So I don't want to put the kids in any kind of loyalty issue, but how can I cut through all the negative things she is saying to them Is there a good way?

Do I leave it alone?

Right now it's like a rollercoaster up/down and I've been just rolling with the punches.

But just last week we took the two youngest to a major sporting event and they had a wonderful time. My guess is that when they went home to tell her she probably got mad that they had fun and probably made some negative statements hence the new down cycle.

It's almost like I feel it would be better for them if I stopped planning fun stuff to do cuz it's almost like she's programming them that they will get negativity from her whenever talking about me/her ex or something fun we all did together and the poor kids probably feel disloyal or who knows how they feel? It must be so confusing for them.

Any suggestions?

Comments (9)