SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stressedmom_gw

help please! my children..best way to deal with these issues

stressedmom
17 years ago

This is my first post here..hello to you all!

In a nut shell..I need input, advise of any kind. I am a 40 year old single mom and I am going to be getting married this year sometime. I have been with my boyfriend for almost a year now. It is a long distance relationship at this point and I and my 4 children will be moving to the other coast this coming summer. My oldest child is 14 and during my boyfriends visits he is very disrespectful towards him and to me also. Of course he is a teenager and has an attitude most of the time but it intensifies during our visits.

A visit is coming up next week and as much as I can't wait to see him..I am dreading the tension in the house. I have tried to ignore my sons attitude but it gets hard to do. As hard as I try to, I just can't. I have made it clear that his disrespect will not be tolerated.

My biggest issue at this point is my son informing me that he "will not be moving when I move and that I can't make him" To be honest even though I know it would be a big mistake to do so..I am considering sending him to his father..this is where he is wanting to go. The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it? They have had minimum contact over the past 8 months or so..phone calls here and there but that is it. My son would be willing to move down south to live with his father but not to the other coast with me..funny, he claims he isn't moving cause he doesn't want to leave his friends and where we live now. I just don't know what to do! He has made it very clear he will make things a living hell if I make him go and I believe he will do just that. The funny thing is..even though he has not spent any time with my boyfriend he has observed the other kids with him during visits. He says "I know he is not a bad guy, I just don't want another father" I really need input in this situation. Do I drag him along and hope for the best? Do I even give him any input on what he "thinks" he wants to do? My stand thus far has been "I am the parent and where I go you will go. When you are out of high school you can live where ever you chose to go." Right or wrong this is how I personally feel.

I have one other big situation that i really need input on also. All my children are finding it very strange and uncomfortable with the affection that we show each other in front of them. For the record we are not getting hot & heavy in front of them in any way shape or form. What they are seeing is him walking up and rubbing my shoulder or back..giving me a kiss on the cheek or a hug and saying "I love you". Normal things that two people who love each other should be doing. I do understand that this is very strange for them..not normal. Their father and I were not in a good marriage at all. Had been on the rocks for many years. So they saw him talking down to me or munipulating me in some way. They never saw love or caring between the 2 of us. Just distance and very little communication, sad to say. My boyfriend and I feel that what they are seeing they will eventually see it as "normal" between 2 people who love each other. It is just going to take time. But the kids on the last visit would shout things like "GET A ROOM" when they saw him hug me. Made me cringe! And made me very upset for the disrespect they were showing. I tried explaining to them that they walk up and hug me and give me a kiss and say I love you to me..why is not ok for Max to do the same thing..they say "it is gross!" I don't know..I sure am not going to let my kids run us like this. But how much do you make a big deal out of things? Or do you just let them figure it out that it is "normal" over time? I really need advise for those of you who have been there and done this already. I am open to any and all advise! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Comments (17)