SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenb2003

is marrying someone with a child too tough?

karenb2003
21 years ago

i am in love with a wonderful man who's been divorced 3 years. for the last year and a half - he and his ex have shared the same roof since his son wanted to live with him and not the mother. The mother refused to give up custody. The son is 6 yrs old. He has a great relationship with his dad and is a good kid. The kid does not have a good relationship with his mom since she is always hankering after him, emotionally blackmails him (you love your dad more than me so you don't listen to me, if you don't do what i tell you to, i will leave you and go away) and he also sees the animosity between the parents. The ex-wife is now moving out and has decided for now to continue letting the child stay with the father until the end of the school year and then will take him to live with her. The son will definitely throw tantrums if that happens, since he is extremely attached to the father. His father and I want to get married at the end of the year. My family is throwing a fit saying that is the worst decision I could make that I could easily meet someone who is single and no kids and that the child and his ex, whom we know is vindictive, will create a lot of problems for me. I am not sure that the child will be a problem because although I don't see the child at all since we live in different countries, I have met him earlier and talk to him on the phone and we have a good rapport. I know that I will love this kid and take care of him and I hope he will accept me if he sees that. This man loves me and I am the centre of his world - I know he will do anything and everything to make me happy. He has a strong value system and is a good man. If it weren't for his child and ex, my parents would have been happy if I were with him. What should I do? I am petrified since I don't know anyone with a kid who has been through a divorce and re-married. There aren't any divorces either. I am scared and not sure I should go ahead with this although I fear that I am losing someone who does make me happy. Any thoughts?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County