SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Cat room Ideas?

Chi
10 years ago

I'm not sure exactly where to ask this but I'm hoping there might be some ideas!

I have 3 cats and my boyfriend has 2. We will be living together soon (he just bought a house) and we plan on turning one of the spare bedrooms into a "cat" room so that we can get the litter boxes, etc out of the main living spaces. We certainly don't want 5 cats but neither of us would dream of getting rid of any so we will make do. :)

We're going to put a cat door on the bedroom door so they can come in and out but we can keep it closed to keep away any fresh smells from the rest of the house. There will also be a couch, all their litter boxes, food/water, and supplies in that room.

My question is - the room currently has nice carpeting. All the cats are well-trained and very rarely have accidents, but it does happen on occasion. They also scratch on the carpet sometimes. I'm trying to find a way to protect the carpet. Since only the cats will use it, I don't really care how it looks as long as it's functional and easy to clean.

I was thinking of just laying down a ton of those plastic floor mats meant for going under office chairs, but they are actually quite expensive especially for the amount I would need to cover the room. I have seen the sticky plastic carpet protectors for moving, etc but I don't think those would be durable enough. I'm also thinking of getting a piece of remnant carpet fitted to the room but I'm worried any bathroom accidents would just soak right through.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Comments (26)