SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Crazy Idea? (cat conflict)

Carrie B
17 years ago

I have a 13yo spayed female cat (Del), and, last winter, after I lost my other female to renal failure, I adopted a young adult, newly neutered male (Simon).

From the start, despite painstakingly slow introductions, there's been conflict. I've tried feliway, rescue remedy, water spray bottle, belled collar (worn by Simon to warn Del when he's around), multiple litter boxes, feeding together (and apart), giving treats/playtime in proximity to each other, etc. Have read books, consulted with vets, and asked here and elsewhere for advice.

Del was peeing in my bed, on the futon couch, and in my laundry basket, Simon has been stalking (and occasionally pouncing on) Del. Del hisses and hides (and pees).

It has gotten better. Still not perfect, but at least it has been almost a month since the last peeing incident.

Soon after I adopted Simon, I cat-sat for another neutered boy for a couple of weeks. Simon and the visitor loved each other. They played and played together.

I have a friend who does a lot of rescue fostering, and she has a young (nine-ish months) neutered foster boy kitty, Clarence. He is very submissive with all of her cats and foster cats, and he always is trying to rub his face up against their faces.

I started thinking that maybe taking him - on a trial basis - might not be a bad idea to try. The woman who is fostering him will take him back in a heartbeat, at any point. There is no commitment to taking him other than providing good care. Foster mom thinks it's worth a try.

Here's what I'm thinking. The worst that will happen is that it will increase - not decrease - tension in my home. I don't believe that anyone would get hurt. There might be hissing and more peeing, in which case, I'd send Clarence back to his foster home.

But... maybe Simon is really lonely and wants a companion to play with. Maybe if Simon has a (submissive) playmate, he will leave Del alone. Also, if Clarence is submissive with Del as well as Simon, maybe Del will feel that she regained some of the status she lost when Simon came to live in our house.

Have you ever heard of an additional cat decreasing, whether than increasing tension? I know it is usually the oppositve... but... is it worth a try?

Thanks,

CarrieB

Comments (5)