SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noinwi

lining a wool skirt?

noinwi
17 years ago

Happy Holidays, everyone! I hope you can give me some advice. I picked up a piece of fabric from the thrift store recently that I believe is wool or a wool blend. It is a mauve plaid, lightweight, and unused. I thought it would make a nice(A-line) skirt and maybe a vest, or a jumper for one of my GD's(she loves purples). However, most of my sewing over the years has been with cottons and other washable fabrics. I have 2 questions:

If wool is washed before sewing will it be somewhat washable afterward, or will "pre-shrinking" reduce it to the size of a hanky, or make it otherwise unusable?

I assume a wool skirt would need to be lined and I don't have a pattern with a lining...what fabric would I use and should it be attached to the skirt at the hem or hang loose?

Sorry, I guess that's more than 2 questions. My history with clothing has been pretty much wash and wear, or throw it out. With 5 kids, I doubt my DIL would be sending one outfit to the dry cleaners, and I wouldn't blame her. It's lovely fabric and I would really like to use it. Any help is appreciated.

Comments (7)