On-line source for elastic waist skirts

weedwoman

So I live in NJ and my folks are in a nursing home in Ohio. I'm told my stepmother needs a couple new skirts - elastic waits, XL, fairly long. She is wheelchair bound, so nothing confining or with buttons she'd sit on , etc, Also machine washable and preferably some pretty prints in addition to solid black.

I said I'd get a couple on line and have them shipped to her, but I'm not seeing much that looks like I want. The only place that had a lot of the kind of thing I am looking for was a place called Rival, which is in the UK. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to just go to Target or K-Mart and see what I can find and mail them myself, which seems silly in this day and age. I'm afraid I don't have a lot of patience with clothes shopping, on-line or not.

Anyway, does anybody have on-line sources they like for these kinds of clothes? Thanks.

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Save    
Jennifer

Kmart, Jaclyn Smith. A search for adaptive clothing leads to specialty sites but there's not much variety.

Save    
CA Kate z9

I was thinking LandsEnd too. Also,

Orvis - https://www.orvis.com and

Vermont Country Store - https://www.vermontcountrystore.com

Save    
Save    
maifleur01

I thought about this because my husband is also in a nursing home although he wears pants. The nursing home that he is in does not suggest elastic waists except for a few patients. If wheelchair bound the movement of the body during the day can stretch the elastic enough that skirts start sliding down. If down far enough they can dig into the front making the person fidget even more which tightens the front. I have seen a couple of women who were sitting on the band with their entire lower back exposed when they leaned forward. If the nursing home is fine with it go for it. There are some skirts that have elastic sections in the waist band rather than being fully elastic.

Save    
sunnyca_gw

I'm in Ca. I visit a nursing home often , no woman is ever in a skirt. They wear slacks or jogging pants. I have 5 small elastic waist skirts(cleaning out things I don't wear) I'm taking to thrift shop Monday, can't imagine having 1 on in a wheelchair, could get caught any number of ways, if diapers need changing the skirt would be in the way. Unless they are in a very small nursing home ,likely the staff would steal them right away. If she can use the bathroom by herself, chances are part of the skirt would end up in the toilet, most are pretty full &rather long, hard to get out of the way, kind of have to bunch them up & good chance person without good balance might fall. I've visited over 2 dozen nursing homes over the years & my folks were in 1 at different times for total of over 5 months & never saw a resident with a skirt on.

Save    
sunnyca_gw

Unless she also wears nylons her legs would get cold. I think because so many older people are cold all the time that they insist on pants for women. Maybe they live in assisted living & take trips out, then it might make sense if she can take care of herself & just uses a cane.

Save    
maifleur01

The one my husband is in does allow skirts for some but only for women who for one reason or another pressure on the legs causes problems. The OP did mention that the person needing them was wheel chair bound but there are so many types of wheel chairs. The standard ones could have a problem with clothing caught in the wheels but there are some that are being used now that have smaller wheels. One woman gets around by pushing with her feet as her arms are weak. The ones with skirts do not wear full skirts or tuck the skirt under their legs.

1 Like Save    
sunnyca_gw

I had to stop wearing skirts as had to stop wearing nylons ,would wear them on Sun. & pain wouldn't stop until wed. afternoon. Just regular nylons constricted my legs too much. Once I figured it out stopped wearing nylons & legs are very white so looked tacky so switched to pants at least 10 yrs ago. I did see where she was wheelchair bound ,after I posted . I didn't like the elastic at waist so would have 1/2 slip I pulled just above the top of skirt as all those little elastics irritated my skin & wore loose top over it. Everybody's different. I'm allergic to things like Ivory soap & Dove bar soap. Whatever works for 1 may not for another. This forum is great tho as can give the OP help or what might not be good for the loved 1. Then they can decide!

Save    
weedwoman

Thanks for the suggestions. I see a couple things at Blair and at the K Mart website. Couldn't find anything in the actual store. I really didn't think these would be so hard to come up with. I guess I'll send her 3 different ones and if there's one she likes we can get more.

The nursing home people are the ones who told me she needed more skirts. She can't stand up anymore but there's nothing wrong with her mind; if the waist is uncomfortable she can ask them to fix it. After seeing what they do to take care of her I think pants would be much harder to deal with. Also, in the 40 years she's been married to my Dad I don't think I've ever seen her in slacks; I just don't think they were comfortable for her so I don't imagine she'd want to start wearing them now.

Save    
maifleur01

Many women of her age were told that wearing pants was just not some thing that women did. My husband's aunts were brought up that way even though they lived and worked on a farm. Other than one that could not find pants that would fit her, after they became older and saw their friends wearing them they all switched to pants. Part of the problem as addressed above was the hems getting in the way as flexibility lessened. You might want to give her one pair to see if she likes them. Depending on when you gift her light weight for summer heavier for the rest of the year.

Save    
sunnyca_gw

Do make sure they are washable!

Save    
weedwoman

Washable is one of my criteria.

My grandmother was like that - she never put on a pair of slacks until after my grandfather died and she moved away from the little town where she spent most of her life. My stepmother, on the other hand, was a world traveler and not likely to do something just because she was 'supposed' to; she just always seemed to prefer skirts or dresses.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bedrooms How to Choose the Perfect Bedsheets
Don't lose any shut-eye over scratchy or ill-fitting sheets; our mini guide to materials, thread count and fit will help you sleep tight
Full Story
Most Popular 7 Ways to Design Your Kitchen to Help You Lose Weight
In his new book, Slim by Design, eating-behavior expert Brian Wansink shows us how to get our kitchens working better
Full Story
Upholstery Fabric Focus: There's Nothing Quite Like Linen
Classic, understated, durable and mildew-resistant, linen is a casual fabric fit for any home
Full Story