SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancynancy_gw

Should I Upgrade My New Bernette to the Bernina 1008?

nancynancy
18 years ago

I'm interested in your advice. My husband bought me an early Christmas present a couple of weeks ago, a Bernette 80e for $400. I'm a beginner, but I'm quickly learning basic sewing techniques -- yesterday I made some very professional looking welting and repaired one of my husband's slipper socks.

Last night my husband was so pleased with the sock repair, he offered to upgrade my machine to the Bernina 1008 which costs $700. Fortunately, the store we bought it from allows trade-ins for the first 90 days.

I plan to use the machine for home dec projects all over my house: throw pillows, seat cushions, roman shades, slipcovers, tableclothes, and duvet covers. I would also like to design some stretchy sports clothes for myself using the Wild Ginger computer patterns.

I haven't tried the 1008 yet but am planning to go to the store today to give it a test run. I know it doesn't have all the automatic features the Bernette 80e has -- like a one-step button hole. But the machine is supposed to be extremely reliable and virtually indestructible. I understand it's the "workhorse" the schools use for their home ec classes.

What would you do? Stick with the Bernette 80e or trade up to the Bernina 1008? Even though I technically have 90 days for the trade-in, my gut instincts tell me husband might withdraw his generous offer if I take more than a day or two to decide.

Comments (6)