SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kafey

I got a new machine and love it!!

kafey
15 years ago

OK, so I already had three machines: my great aunt's 1935 White (complete with several feet) built in cabinet in the basement, a 15 yr old Singer from a big box store in the closet, and my son lent me his ebay find, a vintage Pfaff 332 that is a work horse; but none of them could stich smoothly without having thread throw-up, etc.

So, wanting to make some gifts for Christmas, I decide a new machine is in order. Of course I have already finished all the draperies, pillows, etc for the house...which is why I probably feel frustrated enough to want a new machine! I heard that it is best to go to a local shop to insure service/training afterwards. DH joins me on this adventure (all of two miles from our house) where I anticipate getting a good quality machine, maybe even spend $600! Well, an afternoon at the "shoppe", hours of research, and back to the shop the next day, I ended up with a Bernina beauty with a 9mm stich width! I almost got the 440QE because of the BSR free hand quilting foot, but loved the 9mm (which also came with the BSR foot and several other items that DH loved negotiating.)

I've had it less than a week, but first I sewed all the various stiches, then made a little eye pillow, and it is so easy to use, quiet, intuitive, auto needle threader, I am in love. Now mind you all, I used to sew lots in youth, clothing, then mainly home goods, but now much to my surprise I am considering quilting...or trying one anyhow. Should I just read and go or take a class? I wanted the BSR foot to do designs on jackets and such, which I am sure I will do. But everyone I spoke to and much of what I read referenced quilting. Is it addictive? I'm already addicted to wire work and jewelry making and run a business with DH that is more than full time. I love projects, but really don't need a new addiction! Please advise!

Comments (5)