SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

Hand-on/Active ideas

ceph
16 years ago

I mentioned in my other thread (ADHD- Finally a better plan) that we're trying to come up with a stockpile of activities other than Warcraft to do with A__ (who is almost 9). I'd love to hear other suggestions from other people to add to our idea banks!

We're trying to come up with active and/or hands-on activities that don't cost a lot of money. The active and/or hands-on part is really important for him and I'd LOVE more ideas!

Ideas for the activity stockpile so far that we can do together (keep in mind I'm the coordinator for a science outreach program and that BF and I both do martial arts):

Spooling DNA,

teaching him front and back rolls,

baking cookies,

making alkaseltzer rockets,

learning how to break out of judo/wresting holds (NO WAY are we teaching how to put holds on at this point, but he'd love to know some escapes),

making origami animals,

going to the river bank to look for different animal footprints and plant species,

making a Rube Goldberg machine to pop a balloon,

learning to make balloon animals,

tobogganing

For a few ideas of things he can do on his own:

We're going to buy him some K'Nex one of these days to have something other than Lego because he seems a little bored and limited with it.

We're also going to get him a few basic tools and his own toolbox so that he can take apart small appliances (and such) that we get at the junk store.

He likes to draw and colour, but never knows what to draw, so we're going to get a few drawing books and print out some Warcraft pictures from the computer and give him his own sketchpad.

On a slightly related note: he got an mp3 player from his Grandma for Christmas but didn't listen to anyone on how to care for its battery and it's toast now (he'd run it until the battery died, then charge it for 10 minutes, listen to it for 15 until it died again, charge it for 10, repeat - so the battery gave out right away)...

The mp3 player was a GODSEND. He could be quiet for more than a minute at a time when he had it on because he had audio stimulation. So he'd have one earbud in while he talked with us and he was able to focus on the conversation instead of jumping around. He'd have it on while he read or did homework and he was able to focus for longer. He fell asleep faster when he was listening to music because "I don't get so bored laying there that I want to get up again"

So we want to figure out a way to provide a new mp3 player without stepping on anyone's toes and without making it seem like he gets a new one whenever he breaks his old one... All we can think of it having a list of housework type tasks to complete and then we'll buy him one that will just live at BF's place and we will keep an eye on that he's caring for the battery properly. But we prefer to use the "chores as earning towards a goal" for smaller $ items, and an mp3 player is pretty expensive. Any ideas? We're at a total loss and I need help!

Comments (8)