SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

I'm excited!!!

donnar57
13 years ago

My oldest daughter, 24, asked for a sewing machine for Christmas. While she and her little sister were growing up, I often asked them if they wanted to learn to sew, but never got a positive reply. In college, the oldest took a theater class about costuming, and learned to operate a sewing machine as part of the class. (She already knew a little about it from me, but not as much as I'd like.)

Now, 2+ years later, she found she needed to make a set of curtains to cover a cabinet in her classroom (the doors were broken). She borrowed a machine from her MIL (who lives closer to her than I do), and made herself a set of curtains. She found that she enjoyed it! (Maybe she got the sewing gene. My grandma, my mom and I sew - - somebody had to sew in the next generation!)

So she contacted me with a request for a sewing machine. I in turn talked to my mother - - whom I know has several extra machines hanging around. Grandma is going to present granddaughter with a (used) machine. My mom also inherited all of her sister's sewing supplies, so we're going to spend time at Thanksgiving going through all of it and coming up with a nice beginning sewing kit for my daughter.

All I know about the machine right now is that it's a 27 year old Singer (early 80s). Mom has the book, knows it works well, and has a ton of extra feet for it. Mom also said that she's got shears, pins, thread, and other supplies.

Other than looking through all of this stuff, my job may be to come up with a sewing box for her (as I know she won't have a permanent sewing room in this apartment). I know my daughter won't mind a used machine - I've told her a ton of times that the cheap machines at Joann and Wal-Mart are not worthwhile!

Does anyone know - - what's the best method of shipping a sewing machine from Arizona to Missouri????

Donna

Comments (13)