SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Singer Touch & Sew machine as a starter model?

artemis78
15 years ago

I'm brand new to sewing (the last time I used a sewing machine was around age 10!) and have been hunting for a good starter sewing machine for a while. A number of my sewing friends swear that the older machines are much better made than what's available today, so today, I bought a Singer Touch & Sew 603E on a whim when our local reuse center happened to have one. (They had several others to choose from---a 2010 with digital controls that were flashing wildly, and several 400 series machines that all seemed to have parts missing---but I chose this one because it appeared to metal innards vs. the newer plastic ones, and seemed the most functional, missing only the needle and running with no audible/visible problems.)

So, a few questions---is the 603E a reasonable machine, and will it make a decent starter machine? I imagine I won't learn exactly what does and doesn't work on it until I get a bit more experienced at this, but was planning to take it to our local sew & vac store for a quick tutorial and some help figuring it out and replacing the needle. Just wanted to make sure this would be a good investment of time and money before doing so.

(Oh, and the machine cost $18, which all went to a local nonprofit, so it's not exactly a huge investment if it doesn't work out. If it was a poor choice, please don't be afraid to say so---I'm not too attached to it yet!)

Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus