SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
why_did_i_do_this

Is it all my fault ?

why_did_i_do_this
16 years ago

I have been with my husband for several years and married for only a short time. He has adult children (ages 32 and 28) and I have one child, age 16 (he lives with us, the others do not).

When we met we were married to other people. The marriages were, for all intents and purposes over, but we were still married. Yes, I am fully aware that adultery is wrong.

His adult children found out about us early on and, of course, have never been happy about me. They blame me for their parents divorce (NOT TRUE at ALL). They seem to have forgiven their father, but are REALLY chilly to me and always have been.

Here is the bigger problem - they are way too involved in our personal life. Long story short, they have hacked their fathers email, discovered private financial information, disclosed information to their mother that is none of her business, etc., etc. The biggest problem is that three years ago I had a VERY brief interlude with a co-worker of mine. My S.O. found out about it, we worked through the issue and have moved on. Well, the 'kids' seem to know about this (via spying, etc.)and not only do they know, but they told their mother.

I have already worked through the pain with this issue once before. We got through it, I was forgiven and we have since gotten married. Now I am forced to deal with this issue again. It seems it will never go away. I suppose that is my penance.

However, how am I ever going to make things right with his adult children? I just do not know if the marriage can survive this issue resurfacing, his children being so cold and nasty and the constant spying, talking and all around negativity.

Not to mention my husband is now so cold. It is frightening me and making me want to retreat emotionally.

I know I was wrong not once, but twice here. I am willing to deal with that. I simply do not have anywhere to turn with regard to suggestions or solutions on the adult step children.

I appreciate any feedback. - Oh, please keep it positive.

Comments (27)