SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amber904

Non-Custodial Mothers and Gifts to their children

amber904
15 years ago

Hello, I am new here and I was searching for a site like this because of what my family just went through this past Christmas. Just a little background in case it helps: My husband and I both had 2 children when we met(4 years ago) and now we have one little boy together. We are married and we both have custody of our children making us one big happy family! He also just recently found out that he is the father of another little boy (3) that his ex has custody of, who is also the mother of the other 2 that he has. 6 kids in all, 5 at our house. (whew) Anyways, for Christmas we sent my two step-kids (8 and 5) to NY to spend Christmas with their Mother and her boyfriend and their brothers. For a gift, her BF gave my SS a Nintendo DS (from Santa) Anyways, they told my SS that it was okay for him to share the DS with his sister but not with my children. They all agreed that would be the rule. When my SS refused to let my daughter play with it I asked why and he told me the rule that he and his mother had made. I questioned her about it, thinking it wasn't true and she told me it was. I couldn't believe that she would teach him not to share with his other sisters and brother. I told her that in our house the kids are allowed to share their toys with everyone as long as the child agreed. She didn't agree with our rule and asked us to send the DS and any other electronics that they had bought the kids back to them. So yesterday, I had to explain to my SS that his mom had to send the presents back to Santa. He cried and didn't understand and I didn't know what to say to him. I felt really bad that his mom and her BF would do something like that. Of course, I didn't say anything bad about his mother and told him it wasn't his fault. I told his mother that if they send anything else like that here it will be shared and we will not send it back. My question is: what should I tell my SS and do you think I did the right thing by sending it back? We try to instill values in all of our children and I wanted to protect them. Please let me know what you think and give me advice on how to handle the Bio mom. Thanks!!!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County