SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gilmanda

I am a stepmom to two children from two different marriages

gilmanda
15 years ago

Being a step-parent is hard enough to a child or children from one marriage. I have been with my husband for 2 years and married for 6 mths of that time. I married a man that was previously married twice and has one child from each marriage. I know, I know, but there is a really good explanation for the divorces. (none needed because its our life and noone else's) I have an 11 year old stepson and a 3 year old stepdaughter. I love them both very much and try with all my might to cultivate a loving relationship with them both. With my boy I have no trouble. We get along great and have a great relationship with his mother. She could not stand the second wife. Which leads me to my problem. My girl's mother and I don't talk and she never wants to have anything to do with me. I am not legally allowed to physically discipline my girl. Which I don't want to do any way but I don't see an issue with parents popping a child on the hind-end if need be to catch their attention when they are throwing a fit. My girl is a very hard headed defiant child but can be very loving too. She is getting used to me and warming up to me but I have a hard time getting her to listen to me. My husband backs me up or will take over the discipline which I've read is the better way to handle discipline of stepkids. I don't mind when he does this because she listens to him. I just wonder how long it will take of him saying to her " When your stepmother tells you to do something or to stop you will listen to her." I make a point to only call her down when it is absolutely necessary and to not "over do it." And I only step in when my husband is not around to be the force. I don't let her get away with doing things she shouldn't but I also know that as she gets older her mother will no doubt tell her things about me that may skew how she feels about me. I want to have a good base relationship with her now so when or if down the road she hears things that may or may not be true she will know what to believe and what not too based off of our relationship. I don't have to worry about my relationship with my boy and his mom. She and my husband are like brother and sister and like I stated previously, we have a wonderful loving relationship. She even got me a gift for mother's day but I only have two children by marriage non biologically. I was so touched I cried. Do you think I should try to be more in control with my stepdaughter so she will respect me or am I doing what I should be doing?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner