SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigmelonhead

Being the widowed stepmother

bigmelonhead
17 years ago

I will try to be as brief as possible.

My husband passed away on Thanksgiving morning after nine years of marriage. We had both been divorced for several years. We have five children between us, but each of us had only one at home at the time we married. They (boys) became fast friends. Little did I know what I was getting into with a stepdaughter. (I have all sons), not perfect, but accepting. I consider my stepson my own as well. My stepdaughter is a horse of a different color.

My SD lived in CA when we met and I realized by the end of our first meeting that she was about to make life very difficult. If I sat here all day typing I would not be able to post one third of our encounters. She and her dad had a very strained relationship, due mostly to her own self absorption and her biological mother's training. (Dad was and would always be "the enemy") I actually heard her mother tell her as we were heading out to dinner "top shelf all the way, take them for everything you can". Nice.

So as you might expect, now that Dad has passed away, she has her hand out,again. (I cannot recall many visits or phone calls that did not involve her needing or wanting something.) (Oh btw, she is 29). During two years of cancer and hospital stays, she never visited, and after her calls my husband would always say "she never even asks about me". But she was still his little girl. During our marriage we managed to build a house and pay off the old debt and begin to live. Conservative, but it seemed that with the children all being grown we could have what we wanted. Being his partner/wife, upon his death everything transferred to me via his will. There was no estate, just the simple will and life insurance, the mortgage etc. The day after he died, my SD came to me and asked when to expect the reading of the will. I explained there would be no "reading", but if there were sentimental items I would be happy to allow her to have them. I even told her of things of which she knew nothing and of course she wanted every single thing I offered. She stayed at our home while in town, but was never home. She always referred to it as her father's house, and does still. She returned home the day of the funeral, leaving behind all of her momentoes etc. Since then I have learned that she and all the other "out-laws" have decided to fight me for what my husband and I acquired together. They believe I should have to sell the house and split the proceeds. I receive hate mail and obscene phone calls routinely, and so far I have done nothing. She has lied to his family telling them I have refused her anything, that I refuse to allow her in his house, and a million other fabrications. But you see none of them were "there" for him during his many surgeries, hospital stays or countless hours of chemo, and all they have is guilt. I, on the other hand, was always there, and I was alone with him to hold him as he drew his last breath and left me. I truly do not understand a child being so selfish and self absorbed. I am wondering at what point this will end, or will I have to file an harassment suit. Has anyone had to deal with anything similar.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996