SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justnotmartha

different houses, same expectations??

16 years ago

So after the big talk last week mom and step-dad went home to my SD (she was there for another 2 days of visitation)and told her they were going to do things the way we did them here - same expectations (SD has a printed page of them we can refer to if one isn't met)same chores (we have a posted calendar of schedules/chores as well as a written explanation so she can't claim she didn't know wiping counters was part of cleaning the kitchen)same rules and consequences.

If this works I think it could really cut back the competition between homes as most of it is driven by SD and her comments to her mom. It's the "JNM lets me do this" or "mom lets me do that" that has gotten bad lately, so if we are all letting her do the same things that should cut a lot of her powers of manipulation. Bottom line, I think it will make SD's life so much easier as she won't have to try to remember what set of rules belong to what house.

The funniest thing to me was when SD came home from visitation to tell me that her mom had gone crazy after our talk and was acting all "parenty." Halleluiah!

I have said for years I would like to collectively come up with parameters that would work at both houses and up to now DH was right when he said it would never happen. Now that they just asked for our lists and calendars to follow verbatim I'm not sure what to think - should I get excited that the consistency we've thought SD needed for YEARS might finally happen, or prepare for this to end badly?

Comments (3)