SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicaml

Countertop help! Thick black laminate or a lighter color?

13 years ago

You guys were so helpful with my backsplash and color questions that it's time to ask for input again!

I've started painting our kitchen cabinets white, and I plan to do a tall beadboard backsplash/wainscoting, like The Lettered Cottage kitchen:

On my color help thread in the home decor section, barb5 suggested that a black countertop would be very classic with white cabinets, and much easier to care for than the butcherblock I'd been leaning towards. Then boopadoop showed me mrsmarv's awesome diy laminate countertops, and I knew I had to look into the re-laminating option.

While most of my inspiration kitchens had wood countertops, a few were dark; however, they seem to be pretty thin countertops.

janie-k's oiled soapstone laminate

My overhang is 2" - I'd rather it be shorter, but it would interfere with the way the dishwasher is mounted, and I think the cabinets would look funny with that much open space between the drawers and counter. The overhang is something I can live with, but I'm wondering if such a thick black stripe through my kitchen would be overwhelming?

Will dark look classic or just suck up all the light? Should I go with a medium tone, like a shade from the floor? Or even lighter? What color would you do? Is a wood edge totally out?

I've been looking at colors from Wilsonart, and I really like Oiled Soapstone and Sable Soapstone, but Antique Glass and Brune Slate are also nice. Anything would be better than the purple; I just want a nice, bright, classic white kitchen.

Here's my messy kitchen in progress:

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics of my home in my color help thread

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert