SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

I hate my Ektorp. Ideas to fix it?

anele_gw
12 years ago

So ridiculous that I've wanted the Ektorp for three years and now want to avoid it sitting in it.

When I looked for advice here, a few people said it was uncomfortable, which had me worried. Some astute person said it was for "looks only." I have to agree at this point. I agree with the person who says it is OK as long as you are 5 (or, my husband, who is fine with it). I tried it at the store . . .though admittedly, not long enough (we were shopping with the kids-- bad move there) and it seemed fine.

Got it home, and it is hard as a rock. I've had a pain in my neck which started right around the time we got it, and every time I sit on it, it makes it worse.

Returning it does not seem practical. I called IKEA-- they said they can't tell us how much we'd get back for it unless we take it to the store. That would be a huge job and expense . . .and could potentially lose a lot of $ that we can't spare to lose. I have to find a way to make it work. DH does NOT want to return it, and he'd have to do most of the work, so that is pretty much that.

I have looked up a million reviews, and the majority of people (even the Cote de Texas blog lady) LOVE THEM. Now, this may be because in the "old" days, they had down in them, and now they do not. Or maybe it really takes time to get broken in.

I had my kids put on clean socks, took the pillows off the sofa, and had them jump on them for as long as they wanted, LOL! I need to keep doing this, I think. The kids said they were hard to jump on-- not bouncy. Sigh. Yup!

My other option, which is what I SHOULD have done before I went out and got a new, rock hard LR set, is to attempt (gulp) to sew slipcovers for the sofa and LS that I have (and are soooooo comfy) out of dropcloths. I've been reading a lot about that. If I somehow manage this, then even though it would be wasteful, I'd keep the sofas (at least for awhile-- see if they break in) but move them in other rooms.

I am going to work on making some really comfy accent pillows, too, though the ones I have do not seem to make any sort of difference at all, and they are down.

In the meantime, any ideas? Seems that stuffing the back with even more might make it worse . . .custom inner cushions are out of the budget . . .

Sadly, I don't think it's just the cushions. I think the angle is off, too.

In a bit of irony, I found a post that I wrote yrs ago when someone asked for opinions about these same sofas. I suggested that the person go and sit on it, because comfort is so important. Duh to me.

For those of you who find them comfortable . . .let me say, I am so envious. I cannot tell you how much I wish these would work. Price is right, love the style, and love the fact that slipcovers (esp in white) are so cheap.

Comments (26)