SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
welldone_gw

New Siding...Need Design Ideas

welldone
15 years ago

**Cross-posted at Remodeling, but they told me you might know better. =)**

We're buying a house that has old plywood siding. It needs to be replaced eventually. Due to a new discovery of carpenter ants, we may have to move up the timeline from "eventually" to "soon."

I don't like the way it looks so...70s...right now. I know that, at the end of the day, it's still a 1978 split entry. But, I'm hoping to mitigate that by choosing siding that will take the house in a different direction.

Here's the house right now (click to see bigger):

And here's what I'd love:

I love cottage and farmhouse style. Am I crazy to think I can go that route?

I'm thinking Hardipanel/fiber cement boards with boards added for a board and batten look. Perhaps some cedar shake-like shingles on the gables.

Or, just plain Hardiplank horizontal siding. I'd paint all the trim and windows white, the siding red, and add more trim to the windows. This might give it a red cottage feel while retaining a bit of the modern. It's also very likely that I don't know what I'm talking about! LOL!

Also, I hate the brick columns. And yet, I'm afraid it will look weird without them. I'd love to add a little porch/entry there, but I'm not sure how to negotiate the sloping roof line.

Thoughts? Help?

Comments (16)