SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fearful_of_asbestos

Asbestos in Wall or Ceiling?

Hello. I had a question.

My Dad does lots of repairs around the house.

I have begged and begged him and my Mom to test for asbestos, since my Grandfather died of Mesothelioma.

Anyway, a few repairs hes done really concerned me, and he just went ahead with them without testing anyway. Because he didnt wanna pay for testing. He told me there was no asbestos, but I cant help but worry anyway, since you cant visually tell if there is or isnt asbestos.

Keep in mind this is an old duplex.

One repair was, he took down all the ceiling tiles in the bathroom and put new ones up. Now I know the old tiles were safe beceause they were made by a company that never used asbestos. Armstrong.

However, alot of dust came down, and when looking up in there, there was some kind of crumbly looking white rock between our apartment and the apartment upstairs. Is this a common place asbestos would be used since it was just between bathrooms?

Also, in the living room, there was some water damage to the wall. This wall is a hard rock type material. Not very thick. My Mom broke it up and put it in a trash bag, despite my pleas not to. Thankfully I didnt see much dust, and my Dad came and patched it up with joint compound. But visible dust or not, I am worried about the particals.

I am moving out in 4 months thankfully and dont need to worry about their careless repair jobs anymore.

But I am worried 4 months from now will be too late. Please let me know if these are things I should be worried about for the next 4 months.

Thank you!

Comments (6)