SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
positively_patty

Asbestos popcorn ceilings

positively_patty
10 years ago

The house we just bought has popcorn ceilings. I have big time buyers remorse right now so I don't want to get into why we bought it. It was built in 1978. We plan to move...someday. Because of this plan then we have to look at selling it down the road.

We have not tested for asbestos. We would love to scrap the ceiling and take the popcorn down, but would need to test first. If we tested and found that there was asbestos then we would have to disclose that when we sell it. I've found in calling around and searching the internet that it will cost us anywhere from $3000-30,000 to have it removed. Three thousand is doable. Thirty makes me sick to my stomach.

I've found sites that have said that you can either deal with it (if in good condition), have it removed professionally or cover it. It is 36 years old and looks it. We need to do something with it.

However, I'm not finding a lot of info on covering/sealing it. Some places say paint it. Some say that may be illegal. I found some Styrofoam ceiling tile to cover it, but I don't know how well that holds up.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (8)