SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbiascgw

Plans for 2011?

columbiasc
13 years ago

Here we are in 2011. If the Mayans are right then we only have about 23 and a half months to go and I better throw caution to the wind and get busy really enjoying the next 2 years and rack up a mountain of debt doing it! Just in case they are wrong and the CEO of Shell Oil is right, I think I am going to take a more prudent approach. Did you hear what that guy said this week? $5.00 per gallon gasoline by November of 2012. OUCH!

I don�t know about you, but I gave up making New Year�s resolutions about the time I started growing facial hair. But I do like to take time at least once each year and take stock of where I am and where I�m going. So as we start off on our first work week of the new year, here are a few of my thoughts:

House. Although I have a great little house for the money, I�ve decided it doesn�t quite fit my life. There is a new housing development starting just around the corner from my house and I�m hoping to piggyback of their traffic flow and get my house sold. If I am successful, then I will rent for a while as I look for a better structure/opportunity.

Retirement. I turn 50 in March. Suddenly retirement doesn�t seem that far away. Every financial decision going forward must be made with looming retirement as a primary consideration.

Sons. My sons are 12 and 16. This is a critical time in their lives and I need to make sure I give them the foundation of critical thinking skills they need to carry them through life. Their school curriculum seems to be designed to pass the standardized tests rather than teach critical thinking, logic and reasoning. Also, the public schools actively try to indoctrinate them into a liberal mentality rather than simply presenting the facts and encouraging independent thought. You know, the way WE were taught.

Alternate Income Stream. I believe everyone needs more than one income stream. Times are uncertain, having an income stream that can follow me into my retirement years just makes sense. I launched a side business last year. I need to give that business the effort it really deserves. Not to mention leading by example for my sons.

Increased Awareness. Couldn�t we all benefit from being more aware of time, people, nature and beauty?

Those are a few of my thoughts. What�s on your list?

Scott

Comments (13)