SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon1270

Beginner needs help with knit fabric & interfacing

Jon1270
15 years ago

I have very little sewing experience -- a quilted pillow in home-ec class 25 years ago, two other pillows since then, and a large cafe curtain. This past weekend I decided to try and make a T-shirt for my wife, who can never find T-shirts that fit her well. I got a pattern (Burda) and some finely ribbed knit fabric, and proceeded to make a mess of things. I'll have to start over, and I am confident I can solve most of the problems I had the first time around. However...

The biggest problem I had was around the neck line, which has a facing that is stiffened with fusible interfacing (another first for me). I found it very difficult to sew the stiffened facing to the stretchy shirt fabric, because the stretchy fabric tended to squish out in front of the presser foot so that I ended up with too much of the stretchier fabric and not enough of the stiffened fabric, causing all sorts of unintended wrinkles and gathers. I ripped out the seam and redid it four times, finally getting it almost under control by basting the two pieces together before sewing. Still, the results are disappointing and I don't know what to do differently. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)